Stay At Home Dad.
I’m not really sure what people call me behind my back, but for a long time now I’ve been looking for a good analogy. Something I can point to and tell people “This is what it feels like to do what I do.” I found my analogy, my champion, a couple months ago. His name is Kevin. And thanks to Kevin I can tell you who didn’t know and who were curious as to what it’s like. It goes like this:
Being a stay at home dad is like being the straight guy on Project Runway.
I know what you’re thinking. “YOU watch project runway?” Yes, get over it. I don’t have to prove anything to anybody.
You may ask “How is being a stay at home dad like being a straight male fashion designer?” Let me enlighten you:
1. You’re not really “one of the guys,” and you’re not really “one of the girls” either.
2. When you answer the “What do you do for a living?” question you’re greeted by “Wow, really? That’s great!” but secretly they’re thinking do guys do that?
3. The people you work with act like four year olds. (In my case they are four year olds.)
4. You act like you know what you’re doing, all the while fooling no one.
5. Every woman who sees you work thinks to herself “I could do better.”
See, and since I watched Project Runway this season that makes me an expert on the fashion industry. So I know what I’m talking about.